photography

Comments

• edited 2:03AM
    quoting M&LDad's photography info from the NOTC 2008 Anaheim thread:
    Mia & Lana's dad wrote on Apr 3 2008, 10:55 AM:
    Torontonian_Fan wrote on Apr 3 2008, 05:53 AM:
    M&L Dad you had said a few pages back na it was annoying that the other photogs were using flash.... ikaw u werent using flash? how can the pictures come out to nicely when the venue is so dark?....

Dealing with erratic ambient lighting conditions during a concert setting also includes the artificial type introduced by other photogs' flash bursts. As such, it isn't annoying - just another piece of the puzzle that one has to deal with when shooting at any event. Image quality depends on several factors. Primarily, getting the exposure right and filling the frame with the intended subject. So, if you expand those two fundamental concepts - you can choose from many paths to arrive at the image you wish to create or capture. I choose to shoot without flash at a concert so as to preserve the memory as accurately as possible and at the same time avoid becoming a distraction to others sitting in the audience. It also allows a certain stealthy latitude when you shoot candidly. This decision taxes equipment and is pretty unforgiving when it comes to technique. When you get it right though, it is very rewarding.
    Mia & Lana's dad wrote on Apr 3 2008, 12:40 PM:
    ining1 wrote on Apr 3 2008, 09:04 AM:
    Is it safe to say that because of erratic lighting, to use a lens withf/2.0 or f/ 2.8?Do you ever use a tripod on a concert shot?

Wide aperture helps when there is lack of light and/or more depth of field control - the lens can open up more physically. Dealing with erratic lighting does not necessarily require fast glass, but it helps. However, stage lighting will vary/cycle and especially when subject drops in and out of illumination - this is where one needs to compensate shifting ISO, shutter speed, focus point and other settings on the fly to maintain proper exposure.

I have a shoulder harness with quick release interconnects for use with all three bodies. One is connected to me at all times and in the ready to shoot position on a monopod. In this way, it is essentially a mobile tripod that breaks down quickly when I need to move or switch cameras. If I am standing, I could also connect the other two to either side, also waiting in the ready to shoot position. Switching cameras is simple, just let go of one and use the other since they're all connected to the harness. However, during this concert, I didn't need to move around, so I just rotated bodies on the monopod and kept the other two cameras in front of me on the floor. The monopod has a ball mount with quick release. All bodies, super tele's and zooms are fitted with dovetail plates for quick change. There are also times when you have to just handhold the rig to get certain shots and support it the best you can with makeshift support with bodyparts such as your knee, arm, elbow, forehead etc.. This is where the many years of shaolin temple kung-fu and wu-shu training pays off.
  • edited April 2008
    Mia & Lana's dad wrote on Apr 3 2008, 01:34 PM:
    ining1 wrote on Apr 3 2008, 10:18 AM:
    one last question hopefully, what photo editing software do you recommend not to mention the very expensive adobe package... something that is good enough for amateurs...

It depends what format you're shooting and how much post processing you want to do. If you are happy with out of camera jpeg, then many of the products available are sufficient - some are even free depending on what operating system you prefer. If you're a linux user, then gimp is a very powerful alternative to adobe photoshop, the industry standard by which all others are compared. Things change and options increase when you choose to shoot RAW. This adds additional steps into your workflow prior to creating the final image. There are many RAW processors that are robust which allow you to extract the full potential from every shot. Photoshop comes with its own called ACR (adobe camera raw), but the other standalone/plugins are also very popular. Each one does RAW conversion slightly different, however all are quite capable at stellar output.
  • alamatpaulalamatpaul Bioman
    edited 2:03AM
    ^ thanks sgp
    450px-Monopod.jpg

camera with monopod
    ^ but I cant still visualize how to strap all three cameras in a harness 6.jpg
    MLD your kung fu is fierce!
  • edited April 2008
    kristia^ wrote on Mar 24 2008, 08:01 PM:
    We have some pretty good shots to share here from our coverage of the SJ NOTC concert. Tita Aries had nice equipment with her (Canon EOS - not sure about the model) and Ate SGP and I were more than willing to shoot away!

Hopefully, ma-share namin yung mga pics na 'yon dito soon!

wow gotta enroll in this free photography classes you have here...hehehe!

i have the Canon EOS Rebel XTi....the package came in with EFS 18-55mm and EF75-300mm lenses...still no comparison to M&L dad's gears....

the NOTC2-SJ concert shots were taken by sgp and kristia....so you can share whatever shot you desire guys...

majority of the shots are already in the gallery and sgp has a copy of the raw shots too...kristia you should be getting your copy soon...

btw your shot of the Oakland Bay Bridge really looks great..
    ^ thanks tita sa mga pics
    pinakita nga sa akin ni kristia.

hayaan nyo tita 3 naman super telephoto ni sir MLD
    eh baka nabibigatan na sya belat.jpg alt=':belat:' ] pahawak lang
    i know kung fu too.
    drunken style [img]https://sarahgeronimo.com/uploads/ipb/style_emoticons/legacy/SCQ Karate Kid.png ][/img]
    IMG_9644smallkianahands.jpgGodchild
    10.jpg alt=':10sgHi:' ] hi photographers biggrin.gif

hehehehehe

i have a possibly very very stupid question... *blush*

i'm really an amateur when it comes to like specifics about photography... kse kuha lng ako ng kuha 13.jpg alt=':13bungi1:' ]

The ISO..... i just realized na naka auto ang setting ko... would it bet better na ilagay ko sya sa highest possible setting of 400? would that be the reason kung bakit ang papangit ng kuha ko sa concert and like dark shots outside at night?

kse i was reading up on it and its saying that

"Shooting at a lower ISO number requires more light than shooting at a higher number. Lower numbers result in images with the least visible noise, which is desirable.

The higher the number, the more noise. The amount and degree of noise varies from camera to camera. "

so ano yung noise? hindi masyadong high quality yung pic?

hope someone can help me out biggrin.gif

thanks biggrin.gif
    ^ hi din po photographer!

first of all it is not a stupid question.
    second is don't be discouraged.
    ano nga pala po ang camera nyo?

tama po kayo tungkol sa ISO.
    ung "noise" also known as "grain"
    un po ung parang dumi-dumi sa pic pag high ang ISO.

sabi nga ni MLD photography is a compromise.
    nasa inyo po yan ms. photographer kung ano pipiliin ninyo.

ung iso 400 medyo fine pa yan.
    ako kasi hindi rin ako gumagamit ng flash kung maari para natural ang dating hanggang iso 800 okay lang sa akin. minsan pa nga iso 3200 he he he.

subukan po ninyo kumuha ng pic ng walang flash at high ISO (i-max po ninyo)
    sa medyo madilim. sa hapon, sa restaurant, sa madaling araw kung saan may mga shadow, ung sun medyo nasa horizon.

lastly, share ur pics. biggrin.gif
    nakakalula mga lenses na yan.....hehehe!

when i went to talk to M&L dad pagkapasok sa venue...parang mas mahaba dyan mga lenses, siguro dahil madilim.... and each one has its own camera already attached......readyng ready to shoot na.....

gotta lot of reading to do para maka catch up sa inyo...so i guess i better get busy....
  • edited April 2008
    alamatpaul wrote on Apr 6 2008, 06:52 PM:
    ^ hi din po photographer!

first of all it is not a stupid question.
    second is don't be discouraged.
    ano nga pala po ang camera nyo?

tama po kayo tungkol sa ISO.
    ung "noise" also known as "grain"
    un po ung parang dumi-dumi sa pic pag high ang ISO.

sabi nga ni MLD photography is a compromise.
    nasa inyo po yan ms. photographer kung ano pipiliin ninyo.

ung iso 400 medyo fine pa yan.
    ako kasi hindi rin ako gumagamit ng flash kung maari para natural ang dating hanggang iso 800 okay lang sa akin. minsan pa nga iso 3200 he he he.

subukan po ninyo kumuha ng pic ng walang flash at high ISO (i-max po ninyo)
    sa medyo madilim. sa hapon, sa restaurant, sa madaling araw kung saan may mga shadow, ung sun medyo nasa horizon.

lastly, share ur pics. biggrin.gif

ahhh ganun po pala yun...

canon powershot A430 yung akin eh..... i was just playing with it kahapon.... sa manual option nya tpos nakita ko yung ISO setting hehehehe hanggang 400 pala sa akin 13.jpg alt=':13bungi1:' ]

so pag nasa concert ako dapat eto ang setting na gamit ko pala? hehehehehe

by the way.... yung exposure option... anong purpose nun? when should i be changing it to the positive, negative....

pag tpos ng exams kse uuwi ako sa pinas para sa binyag ng god daughter ko.. so definitely ill be trying out these new info na nalalaman ko hehehehe so ill be posting pics pag balik ko biggrin.gif

thanks for the tips biggrin.gif
    edited April 2008
    ^^ thanks po for the linkies biggrin.gif alt=':D' ] biggrin.gif alt=':D' ] 5.jpg
    IMG_1165eye2.jpgmy brother using somebody else's super lens

through the eyes of his bestbudIMG_1165eye.jpg
    ^WICKED!!!! spoton.gif

ang lupit! raw shots pa ba yan?
    edited April 2008
    ^ ung first shot cropped ng second shot
    auto levels lang ang post processing
    un na un.

IMG_1290spider.jpgang laki nyan promise! mas malaki pa sa thumb ko ung belly ng gagamonster!
    sample ng auto levels sa photoshop

pic #1 original post of agent scully.
    pic #2
    - auto levels
    - crop
    - resize to 550 x 367 px
    and one more photoshop magic, not that obvious pero sige parang puzzle lang spot the difference!!! he he he he he he he!!!

IMG_3527-1.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg
    ang ganda ng subject hehehe! 45.jpg
    I love this shot by pauline16

lensflare.jpg
    ^salamat kuya alamat... kelangan ko na rin talaga matutunan ang photoshop.. busy pa eh. hehe. galing mo natanggal mo yung face nung girl dun sa may ilaw... 14.jpg