All-Star OPM Christmas Album For The Holidays

All-Star OPM Christmas Album For The Holidays

AUDIO JUNKIE
By PUNCH LIWANAG
November 16, 2012, 8:40am

‘Christmas With The Stars’

Various Original Artists

Viva Records

It’s that merry time of the year again when the lights are up, the trees are adorned and the spirit of Yule is in the air. This special occasion is marked, Pinoy-style, with a Holiday themed album “Christmas With The Stars” – a compilation of favorite classic and contemporary Christmas songs.

It kicks off with the OPM legend Basil S. Valdez (the “S” is a recent addition) with a new recording of “Pasko Na Sinta Ko,” a sublime, totally heartfelt version highlighted by strings and grand piano. Regine Velasquez, Martin Nievera and the ageless Zsa Zsa Padilla sing their takes on “O Holy Night,” “The Christmas Song,” and “Ang Aking Pamasko,” respectively. Zsa Zsa’s take, though an old recording, is all the more poignant this time as the divine diva misses her dearly departed long-time partner. We also hear a pair of two new recordings courtesy of two ‘80s pop stars Gino Padilla, who does a gentle remake of the classic “Silent Night,” and “Farewell” singer Raymond Lauchengco with an equally superb “What Child Is This.”

Rachelle Ann Go does a theatrical and charming re-imagining of “Kumukutitap.” Princess Velasco, meanwhile, keeps it simple with a clean acoustic guitar rendering of “Give Love On Christmas Day.” Three of the youngest singers in this set hold their own alongside the more established stars: Marvin Ong putting that theatrical singing to good use in “The First Noel”; and Anja Aguilar with a pop rendering of “All I Want For Christmas Is You”; and Charlie Green with “Please Come Home For Christmas.”

Packed with 18 tracks, it is also made livelier by a jazzy envisioning of “Noche Buena” by premier vocal group The Company, balladeer Mark Bautista’s soothing “Himig Pasko,” Joey Albert’s wholesome “The 25th Of December,” Aiza Seguerra’s folk-y “Miss Kita Kung Christmas,” and megastar Sharon Cuneta with “It’s Just Another New Year’s Eve.” While most cuts are merry, the album can be a nostalgic listening experience as well. Rico J. Puno also gives a bluesy and soulful performance on his classic recording of “Merry Christmas Darling,” while Sarah Geronimo dishes out a heartfelt original, “Sana Ngayong Pasko."

http://www.mb.com.ph...ys#.ULNAtuRA08o

Comments

• RHBRHB
    edited 5:10PM
    Thanks for sharing smile.png
  • edited 5:10PM
    tnx po 4 sharing...
    How wonderful! heart.gif alt=':heart:' ] I would love to her those christmas songs I know, especially those who are coming from my culture. I´m wondering how pinoy christmas songs sound like. I would love to hear that, too! 34.jpg
    Rabbitt wrote:
    How wonderful! heart.gif alt=':heart:' ] I would love to her those christmas songs I know, especially those who are coming from my culture. I´m wondering how pinoy christmas songs sound like. I would love to hear that, too! 34.jpg

I would also love to hear some German Christmas songs Rabbit! smile.png
  • edited December 2012
    sgfever wrote:
    I would also love to hear some German Christmas songs Rabbit! smile.png
    There are many songs like "silent night" who are coming from germany. They're just translated into english sleazy.gif alt=';)' ] It's funny but I think it is a great thing, because music should be home everywhere. Why not translate christmas songs into another language so everyone can sing and hear them who is celebrating christmas [img]https://sarahgeronimo.com/uploads/ipb/style_emoticons/legacy/smile.png Do fillipinos listen/sing alot christmas songs? I mean, in our country you hear the most christmas songs in shopping malls or at the christmas market. And I don't know anybody who sings a christmas song at home, not even on christmas eve... Also there are not many people who are going to church to listen to a christmas chorus. Mostly older people do that... This tradition is somehow got lost in my culture[/img]12.jpg I'm just wondering, because no one here would even think about making a christmas album with local singers/musicans... what I think is a great gift especially for the fans!
    5.jpg alt=':52sgThumb:' ] happydance.gif happydance.gif happydance.gif happydance.gif